- What is the PSW Challenge fund?
As PSW Challenge Fund, you may be eligible to receive Government funding up to $13,235 to become a professional Personal Support Worker (PSW.)
- How do I choose a good college to do the PSW program?
- Ensure that the school is recognized by NACC, and the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
- Ensure the college is able to get you paid placements in government recognized Hospitals, retirement homes, long term care facilities, community care facilities. Ask them to show you contracts with these facilities.
- Ensure that you get flexible classes to fit your schedules.
- Ensure that the college has a dedicated financial aid officer who will answer all your funding questions before, during and after the course.
- Ensure there is a facilitator who will be available after hours
- Ask the college what are the special steps they take for the FINAL EXAM PREP (very very important!)
- Ask the college, that if you fail the NACC final exam in the first attempt, what the repercussions are
- Ask the college what the costs for the second or third attempt are.
- Ask the college, if you have an emergency and if you are not able to complete the course what the repercussions are.
- Ensure that the college gives you free books and scrubs
- Is the Government still paying for PSW in Ontario?
Yes, the government has recently announced that they will be covering full tuition costs on behalf of students and will also offer paid placements- through the PSW challenge fund program.
- How long does it take to become a PSW in Ontario?
5 months in class and 2 months of PAID placement!!
The National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) certified Personal Support Worker program at Academy of Learning is 7 months long including placement.
- Is the PSW course still free in Ontario?
Yes, starting from June 2022-September 2022 the PSW Program will be funded by the Challenge fund with 100% tuition funding in Ontario.
- Does OSAP cover PSW?
Yes. You will be eligible for grants if you apply for the PSW Program in Ontario.
- How do I get a PSW grant in Ontario?
You can apply for the challenge fund program for 100% tuition grant and paid placements. You can ask for the financial aid officer at the college to help you navigate the challenge fund program.
- Am I eligible for the Challenge fund program?
If you’ve been an Ontario resident for the past 12 months and have PR, Canadian Citizen or Protected person status you will be eligible for a FREE PSW Program at Academy of Learning Brampton West.
- My income is very low but my spouse makes a very high income. Can I qualify for the Challenge fund?
Yes you can still apply for the challenge fund.
- I am a refugee, can I do the PSW program?
Yes you can. There are many different types of Refugee claimants. Some do qualify for 100% tuition grants. The financial aid officer of your college should be able to help you find out if you qualify.
- What traits should I have as a PSW?
Adaptable, understanding, friendly, motivated, compassionate, trustworthy, honest, great communication skills, professionally trained.
- Where can I get a job after becoming a PSW?
You can work at a retirement home, long-term care, hospitals and multi-speciality homes.
- How much do PSW make in Ontario?
The average PSW salary in Canada is $37,908 per year or $19.44 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $34,125 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $47,500 per year.
- I am not very comfortable with the computer, can I still become a PSW?
Yes you certainly can! Ensure that your college does an assessment for you to ascertain if you can get extra language classes.
- I am a nurse from my home country. Will I get some course benefits to become a PSW?
YES. There is a possibility that some courses will be waived for you. You can earn credits for prior learning.
- I prefer learning in person. I don’t like online learning. Can I still do the PSW course?
Yes. Ask your college for in person classes.
- I have no daycare so I prefer only online classes. Can I still do the PSW course?
Yes. Ask your college for an online option.
- I work full time and I cannot quit my job. Can I do the PSW course?
Yes, the college should offer you flexible timings.
- Can I get a 100% tuition grant if I am working full time?
Yes. You can surely qualify for the challenge fund.
- Can I apply for Second Career to do the PSW course?
Yes you can.
- What is the NOC Code for PSW?
Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations (NOC 4412)
Please call our expert admissions Counselors at Academy of Learning Brampton West to get further details on the questions above.
Campus Phone: 365-788-4080
After hours cell phone:647-680-2379